Thursday 27 May 2010

Oh dear

Oh dear! Blew the detox! I was doing so well but this morning was a very early start and my routine was completely messed up. So for lunch, instead of my usual lovely healthy raw salad, I had a tuna salad Subway. Not the end of the world, I know, but annoying that I can be blown off course by a simple change in routine. Oh, and I am really going to suffer for the wheat!

Starting to realise that a huge amount of this "losing it" thing is about preparation, preparation and more preparation. I knew I had an early start and I could have been prepared for it. Still, its all about making mistakes and learning from them. Who was it who said "good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"?

OH BTW here's the recipe for my lovely raw lunch - its really tasty and filling and the best part is it takes ages to eat so there's no chance of feeling deprived! Its sort of based on The Juice Master: Turbo-charge Your Life in 14 Days turbo charged salad but I've tweaked it a bit! The tahini dressing makes it feel super rich and indulgent when it really isn't!

First there's the basic salad:
I cup raw red cabbage (or white if that's all you've got) grated or thinly sliced
Half a carrot grated (or more if you fancy)
Half an apple
A stick of celery
Half a small cucumber
A handful of pumpkin seeds

Then you can add any or all of the following:
An avocado
Half a bulb of fennel
A couple of sprigs of brocoli. grated or chopped
Half a pepper chopped
Spinach leaves, rocket leaves, lettuce - whatever greenery takes your fancy
A couple of tablespoons of beans - cannelini, kidney, borlotti, whatever you prefer (though Heinz baked beans might be stretching it a little!)
A handful of walnuts
4 olives, black or green, your choice
A small tin of tuna (don't buy the flaked stuff though, it tastes like catfood! Well, not that I've tasted catfood...)
Half a cup of cold (but cooked) brown rice

And the dressing:
One tablespoon of tahini
One and a half tablespoons of olive oil
A tablespoon of cider vinegar or balsamic
Juice of half a lemon or a whole lime
And if you're feeling really indulgent a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup!
Put all these in a jar and shake and you have instant mayonnaise!

Chop or grate everything to a manageable size and stir thoroughly then pour over the dressing and stir again. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment