Friday 28 May 2010

Lose Weight Slow

I know this is a hard concept to grasp. Lets face it, we want rid of those extra kilos NOW! We want to fit into a size 12 NOW not next week, next month or even next year!

But the sad truth is if you lose weight fast you will put it back on faster! Your mind/body system does not like change and the one thing it hates more than change is quick change. So the only way to fool it into submission is to lose weight so slowly that it doesn't catch on until its too late! That way your changes have a chance of being permanent.

I've taken over two years to lose 30kg and I don't care if it takes another two to lose the next 30! In fact I don't care if it takes another ten! Those ten years will pass anyway and the important thing is losing it. Sure I'd love someone to wave a magic wand and make me a size 12 now - I'm human! But if being a 12 NOW meant being back to a 20 in a few weeks or months then I wouldn't take it. Losing it is too challenging to do it more than once.

For me the big thing that set me out on the path to weight loss success was accepting that it would take time and probably a lot of time and that was ok. Realising that a crash diet, cabbage soup diet, lemonade diet, even Atkins or South Beach was never going to change my life is actually what has saved it!

The thing for me is that life is too short not to go off course occasionally - the best scenery is off the beaten track! Friends are more important than diets and if that friend happens to make a killer chocolate cake then so be it! I'm not going to avoid them, and lets face it, I'm probably not going to avoid the cake either so what I will do is enjoy every morsel and then get back on track tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment