Sunday 30 January 2011

Stress And Losing It

OK, I've never had a lot of time for this theory but now I'm living it! And even though I feel like I'm making excuses, I think I can confidently say that stress makes losing very very hard and makes gaining way too easy!

We got the news at the end of December that my dad was unwell and facing major surgery and since then I've gained 7 kilos effortlessly - yes, I know, that's more than a kilo a week! How can that be? Its not as if I'm bingeing on junk food or anything.

Despite the incentive of wanting to look great when I go back to Scotland to act as family chauffeur while he recovers, despite wanting to impress my mother with my efforts, despite the fact that Christmas is over and all, well OK most, temptation is gone. Some of it is comfort eating, some is total inertia where exercise is concerned. I have good intentions that evaporate like the dew by mid afternoon. I'm not eating anything particularly bad but it seems like everything I do eat is sticking like glue.

So I guess the first step is awareness. Knowing that stress is not helping is a good start, not beating myself up about it is also good. What's the point? That will only create more stress. I know my danger period for food is about 4pm, its too long till tea time and too long since lunch and that packet of oatcakes is looking too tempting! Yes, I admit it, I binge on oatcakes! OK I'm weird! So my plan for the next week before I go back to Scotland is to be as far away from anything tempting at 4pm as possible - probably walking the dog would be a good thing! Oh, and to do lots of swimming, because I sure as anything won't be doing a lot of that in the frozen wastes of Glasgow!


3 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel :-)

    I hope the trip back to Scotland goes well & your dad makes a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    Sorry, didn’t know how else to contact you!

    Firstly, great blog and keep up the good work!

    My name is Charles and I currently run a blog in Dubai, www.allxpats.com. I have been doing this now for the past year or so and while updating it and letting the website grow, I will now be moving onto my next venture. Which is why I am contacting you.

    As finding advertisers for your site in the UAE is not the easiest of things to achieve, I have decided to start an Affiliate Network in the UAE whereby businesses can offer a certain sum of money per click, lead or a percentage of commission to the blog/website owner who brought in that lead via the website owners unique link.

    Once logged into the website, you will be able to see your earnings, advertising programs you have joined, charts showing all your stats and much more.

    I am currently in university, 21, and this will be my first risky business venture, so trying to get as much research together as possible and people who would be interested in joining if it were good, easy to use, and did have relevant advertisers.

    PLEASE FILL IN THIS VERY FAST 5 Question Survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5TCP5D7

    Sorry for the long email and once again, thank you very, very much for taking the time to read and answer the survey!

    If you ever need any help with anything just let me know, or want to tweet each other, tag each other in Facebook ect and so on.

    Thanks Again

    Charles Leahy

    charlesleahy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete