Monday 21 June 2010

Is it wheat?

Well that wasn't as bad as I feared! Nearly two kg put on in a weekend lost in just a day. OK, it was a day of raw cabbage and bown rice but that's not too bad (I've got a tasty recipe!) and the results are worth it.

I'm really, really starting to think wheat is a bigger issue than I wanted to believe! I love my bread (which is apparently a bad sign!) and, although I avoid it during the week, I allow it to sneak in at weekends and the 1-2kg gain seems to be the result. Yes, I can get rid of it relatively quickly but its still a day or so wasted. So next weekend is going to be a wheat free zone, just to see.

Its not too hard at this time of year to stay focused. Its hard to get really hungry in this heat and lots of people (for people read bad influences!) are off on holiday now the schools are out, so our weekends are pretty quiet.

So I'm off to investigate living without wheat. There's lots of great recipe books on the subject - Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook: More than 100 Easy and Delicious Recipes from the Gluten-Free Chef or The Wheat-Free Cook: Gluten-Free Recipes for Everyone for example have lots of great ideas and The Holford Low-GL Diet Made Easy is big on avoiding wheat too. I'm just going to have to find something other than a Spinney's Portuguese roll to spread my marmite on :-(

Oh and any wheat free recipes and ideas would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment